Global health and nutrition trends primarily focus on adding ingredients for “nutrition plus,” but consumers are also interested in reducing or eliminating ingredients for “nutrition minus.” This plus/minus combination in what consumers want—fortification with protein, fiber and other nutritional ingredients and less or no sugar, fat and calories—is what makes up the health and nutrition story.
Most often consumers seek benefits in key areas that often relate to their stage of life: digestive and blood sugar health for Baby Boomers; simple “free from” labels such as “allergen-free” for Millennials and Gen Xers; and energy and weight management for appeal to everyone. Consumers want to feel the benefits in the foods and beverages they consume, and products have to be both delicious and affordable.
Many goals at once
The complexities for you are enormous. How do you add fiber to cereal and keep it crunchy? What kind of vegetable protein works best in nutrition bars? What’s the balance of bulk and sweetness when sugar is cut by half? How can you add benefits and subtract undesirable ingredients—to appeal to a health-conscious parent purchasing food for the family?
The challenges—your challenges—that arise directly from the trends are what drive us at Ingredion Idea Labs™ Innovation centres. When you combine our nutrition expertise, consumer research, clinically proven proprietary ingredients and concept-to-launch capabilities, you are empowered to create one-of-a-kind products that taste great and bring consumers the health benefits they desire. Our new product development process naturallynaturally includes cost optimization, an element you don’t often see in the value-added nutrition arena.
You’ll find a stream of new nutrition plus and nutrition minus product ideas and solutions from the Ingredion Idea Labs™ innovation centres. Our researchers, scientists, nutritionists and regulatory experts are already working on the next trends and health benefits so you can stay ahead with clinical science you can trust. Collaborate with us.
The challenges within the trends
The experts of Ingredion Idea Labs™ innovation centres can help you overcome the challenges to meet the trends.
- Weight management. More than 80% of consumers in the U.S. say they would be interested in buying a food or beverage product if it could help them with weight management, according to Ingredion research.
- Sugar reduction. The majority of U.S. consumers say they are looking to reduce sugar in their diet—although they still desire sweetness in foods and beverages.
- Digestive health. According to our research, digestive health is a top consumer concern, and, with the aging of the Baby Boomer generation, the market is only going to grow. Mintel GNPD cited digestive claims as the top nutrition claim worldwide from 2010 to 2015.
- Early life nutrition. Parents and caregivers want only the purest and healthiest formulas and milks for infants and toddlers.
- Clinical nutrition. With the aging population comes the need for products for people with special nutritional needs and intolerances to get functional, high-quality nourishment.
- Clean and simple. People worldwide are scrutinizing labels for simple, familiar ingredients, regarding them as healthier options. Proprietary 2015 research shows 73% of U.S. consumers find it important that they recognize a product’s ingredients, while 67% say a short and simple ingredient list is important.
Solving your product challenges is our purpose. Together, we can boost the nutritional power of your foods and beverages—and create products consumers trust and enjoy. Innovate with us.
 HealthFocus International, 2015
 International Food Information Council Foundation 2014 Food & Health Survey
 MMR, Consumer Study, 309 consumers USA, April 2015
Explore health & nutrition challenges
Remove to improve
For the youngest consumers
Work wonders with fiber
Power over health
Hot topics in health and nutrition—and what they mean for you
Get a quick update on health and nutrition trends from seven key markets—and how to meet them—in Your Nutrition Minute, a video series hosted by Lorraine Niba, our global director of nutrition innovation and strategy.
When it comes to nutrition trends, you need consumer insights, up-to-date research, scientific expertise and much more to deliver the best solutions. Learn more about the benefits of a cross-functional approach in this installment of Your Nutrition Minute.